Tagging the Tower

The Digital Fellows Blog

• Visualizing the Local Impact of the NEH

By on March 16, 2017

In light of President Trump’s recent budget announcement, the humanities is scrambling to defend the value of institutions such as the NEA and NEH against proposed cuts that would see their budgets reduced to zero. With so much on the line, it seems more necessary than ever to highlight...

Read more
  • The mostly non-STEM guide to data literacy

By on February 22, 2017

I got my hands on this very cool Titanic dataset that provides me with a list of passengers and a bunch of information about them, like their names, ages, ticket fares and classes, where they got on, and how many siblings, parents, and children they came with. I’m really...

Read more
  • Git Ready.

By on February 15, 2017

This week, I am teaching git and GitHub. In the workshop, I will cover some basic commands in this incredibly powerful software (git) and its incredibly robust hosting service for repositories (GitHub.com). git + GitHub Workshop 2/15 Like the workshops it was based on led by Digital Fellows Mary Catherine Kinniburgh and Patrick...

Read more
  • Spring 2017 Office Hours & Python Users Group

By on February 9, 2017

With classes in full swing and deadlines due, it’s project exploration and crunch time. The GC Digital Fellows wants to help. We host office hours and PUG throughout the semester where you can drop in to consult on developing a project, using a digital tool, or any other digital...

Read more
  • #NYCDHWeek17 Kickoff Event

By on February 8, 2017

Read a summary of NYCDH Week Kickoff Event, Monday, February 6, 2017, at the CUNY Graduate Center. Digital Fellow Jojo Karlin describes presentations from student prize winners, lightning talks, roundtable on DH infrastructure, and Dr. Steve Brier’s NYCDH Award acceptance keynote.

Read more
Load More
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message