Tagging the Tower

The Digital Fellows Blog

• Kicking off the GCDI Sound Series: A Workshop on Sound

By on October 10, 2017

Image: Teodorik Menšl on Flickr, 2005 Later today, I am teaching a workshop on sound, kicking off our new GCDI Sound Series. In the workshop I will review a variety of digital tools, techniques and concepts for recording, editing and sharing sound. Sound Workshop 10/11 Like the workshops led...

Read more
    GC Digital Fellows
  • An Anthropologist’s Visit to DHSI to Learn about Sound

By on September 20, 2017

Kelsey’s photo, Smuggler’s Cove, Victoria, BC, Canada I knelt down with my knees in the sand, feeling a bit silly and bit nostalgic of my more artistic childhood, and held my audio recorder close to the tips of the waves as they rolled into the beach’s shoreline. I was...

Read more
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Passions, Projects, and Python

By on September 14, 2017

Two days before this semester’s Introduction to Python Programming workshop (which was held this past Tuesday night), I came across the following tweet from Jake VanderPlas, author of ‘The Whirlwind Tour of Python’ and ‘The Python Data Science Handbook’, and all-around Python Guy (contributor to scipy and scikit-learn, among...

Read more
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Multifaceted Access: Modeling Possibility in Maker Spaces with Arduino

By on April 19, 2017

Our last maker-themed blog post explored how maker spaces and maker culture are increasingly common features of digital centers, libraries, and academic settings. Common, perhaps, but still, perhaps mystifying to those of us who are more comfortable writing essays than wiring circuits? As a GC Digital Fellow who has...

Read more
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Organize your WordPress blog posts with the List Category Posts plugin!

By on April 17, 2017

Hey everyone! We’re finishing up spring break here at CUNY Graduate Center and in the spirit of spring cleaning (and organizing!) I wrote up this little how-to blog post to showcase a useful plugin for organizing content on your WordPress site: List Category Posts. I’ve been updating a couple...

Read more
    GC Digital Fellows
Load More
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message