Tagging the Tower

The Digital Fellows Blog

• GCDI is Here for You!

By on September 15, 2021

Greetings Digital GC – Welcome back! The Graduate Center Digital Initiatives (GCDI) and GC Digital Fellows have been hard at work developing programming, events, workshops, and opportunities to help you continue to learn and to develop your digital scholarly projects. As you transition back to the academic year, please...

Read more
    0
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Top Mapping Mistakes

By on May 12, 2021

Throughout the past three years as a Graduate Center Digital Fellow, I’ve spent much of my time helping other students and faculty with their mapping projects. I’ve loved getting to learn about the rich range of research projects across disciplines. Though each project has been unique, I’ve noticed common...

Read more
    0
    GC Digital Fellows
  • My Feelings on the Digital Research Institute

By on May 3, 2021

“Hello, world!” That’s the message that we prompted our computers to print with the first line of code that we wrote, and it really felt like saying hello to a new dimension. That was a sustained feeling at each of the five meetings of the Digital Research Institute (DRI),...

Read more
    0
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Basic Audio Editing with Audacity

By on April 27, 2021

A couple of weeks ago, I ran a workshop on the Basics of Audio Editing with Audacity. This workshop comes after my Fall workshop on Getting Good (Enough) Audio Recording. For those who might be considering sound projects but were not able to participate in the previous workshops, I...

Read more
    0
    GC Digital Fellows
  • Sonification for Data Communication

By on April 19, 2021

A few weeks ago my partner shared a TED Talk with me that changed how I conceptualize data communication. In it Dr. Wanda Diaz Merced, an astronomer who lost her eyesight in her early twenties, discusses her journey back into science after this setback. A crucial technique helped her...

Read more
    0
    GC Digital Fellows
Load More
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message