Tagging the Tower

The Digital Fellows Blog

• Arduino Lilypad Image

Multifaceted Access: Modeling Possibility in Maker Spaces with Arduino

By on April 19, 2017

Our last maker-themed blog post explored how maker spaces and maker culture are increasingly common features of digital centers, libraries, and academic settings. Common, perhaps, but still, perhaps mystifying to those of us who are more comfortable writing essays than wiring circuits? As a GC Digital Fellow who has...

Read more
  • Organize your WordPress blog posts with the List Category Posts plugin!

By on April 17, 2017

Hey everyone! We’re finishing up spring break here at CUNY Graduate Center and in the spirit of spring cleaning (and organizing!) I wrote up this little how-to blog post to showcase a useful plugin for organizing content on your WordPress site: List Category Posts. I’ve been updating a couple...

Read more
  • Exploring the local impact of the NEH – NEH Impact Index

By on April 10, 2017

Graduate Center Digital Initiatives is proud to share the NEH Impact Index. Recent budget proposals by the Trump administration have allocated zero funding to a number of independent federal agencies concerned with education, democracy, cultural preservation, and public-facing scholarship. Among them are the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH),...

Read more
  • Visualizing NEH Open Data

By on April 4, 2017

NEH Open Data Shortly after the Trump administration announced its budget, the GC Digital Fellows dove into the Open Data from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) to see what we could learn about what has been funded and what sort of projects would no longer receive funding. With a...

Read more
  • Learning to program, for everybody

By on March 29, 2017

Every time I teach a Python workshop, I inevitably end up telling the story of my first month of Python programming. I started learning Python when I arrived at the Graduate Center as a Masters student in 2011. Methods in Computational Linguistics 1 was really a Python 101 course...

Read more
Load More
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message